Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Dancing In The Rain

When I was five, I thought white cars had aliens in the engine. When I was ten, I could only read series in chronological order. When I was almost fifteen, I had a playlist called “Obnoxious Pop Songs That I Slightly Love.”

These three things, unrelated and simple, describe me better than any introduction could. Luckily, none of these facts can create a stigma, so I still get called by my real name, Shaun. That is, unless you are my siblings, dad, my coach, or that annoying kid in my Geography class. For some reason, those people can not say my real name. I find it crazy annoying now, but I have a feeling it will get endearing (except for that annoying kid, I don’t think the word endearing can be used in the same sentence as him.)  

I think philosophy is important. But, I value rambling just as much. Quotes are literally my life (in-proper use of literally completely intended). My favorite is sort of my life philosophy in a low key way. 

A lot of things in my life are low key, because I am not (emphasize on not) a low key person. For example, you would think an eleven year old would have grown out of throwing temper tantrums, but guess what? I’m not so typical. The particular melt down I’m talking about, as I fondly (and embarrassedly!) look back, pretty much describes me as a person. 

 It all started on the Road To Hana, in Maui, Hawaii. It was my families first trip, a surprise from my parents, and we decided to brave the Road To Hana. The Road To Hana is a 64.4 mile long highway in Maui. It’s one of the windiest roads in the USA; it also has various hiking trails off the road. 

 My family and I were hiking on a trail when we came across a waterfall. Then, it was massive, crazy and probably dangerous. Now, it is a ten foot high with a twenty-five foot deep pool and not at all dangerous.  This wouldn’t be a problem; if the waterfall wasn’t cleared to jump from. It was pretty unanimous that we would jump…until we got to the top. Suddenly, the magnificent waterfall turned into a free fall to death. Queue doubts from an overly creative eleven year old. But, before I could even express my uncertainties, my family had jumped! I was left alone, peering down into the deep abyss of nothingness! Oh what to do! My brain decided having a melt down was a better solution than jumping. 

The worst (and most character defining aspect) was the fact no one was pressuring me to jump. My parents said I didn’t have to do it and my siblings promised not to tease me about it. What more could you ask for? Clearly a lot, because I started to cry harder. Imagine the sight! A small, blonde, eleven year old in hysterics standing over a waterfall. 

In the end, I jumped.

Reflecting on the moment, I know the issue was simple. It was me. The pressure I had put on myself to jump was far stronger than the mental stability I would have if I didn’t. I think before I do (not think before I speak!!) and more often then not, my brain gets in the way.
    
Why?

I don’t know! But I do know that my life is a series of those moments, despite varying significance of the problems.  


The rambling above tells a lot more about me than I could ever write. Also, it indicates what this blog will be like. So please, strap onto this wild ride and come dance in the rain with me!

(image source : bucultureshock )


No comments:

Post a Comment